Posts for: January, 2018
The unexpected happens. Motor vehicle accidents cause a wide variety of injuries, but one of the most common is whiplash. The sudden impact of your car accident in Austin, TX, forced your head backwards quickly and then forward, affecting the vertebrae, muscles, nerves, connective tissue and discs in your cervical spine. How can you take care of your back? Dr. Zeke Harkleroad of Bee Caves Scoliosis Center urges victims of MVAs to see him immediately for evaluation and treatment.
Before seeing your chiropractor
Many times, symptoms of back problems go unnoticed for days, but then, the pain and dysfunction begins. The Spinal Research Institute of San Diego says that common whiplash happens to about three million Americans annually, and most of those injuries originate in car accidents.
What can you do with your injury? Even before seeing Dr. Zeke, there are steps you can take to take care of your back:
- Ice the neck or other areas of the back to reduce swelling. This is critical especially within the first 72 hours after your mishap.
- Rest. Do not keep doing your normal routine, but take a step back to ease tightened muscles.
- Move more slowly and gently, but do move. Complete immobilization only increases symptoms of pain and stiffness.
- Make an appointment at Bee Caves Scoliosis Center as soon as possible.
When you see Dr. Zeke
Be sure to tell him the full details of your Austin, TX, car accident, including any symptoms of pain, dizziness, limited mobility, headache, and muscle strain you may have. Then, Dr. Zeke will fully evaluate your spine, including your range of motion and areas of tenderness. He likely will order X-rays and other imaging to pinpoint the exact areas affected by your car accident. Then, he'll formulate a treatment plan geared to your specific needs.
This care plan may include:
- Chiropractic adjustments to relieve subluxations in the spine (misalignments, pinched nerves and strained muscles)
- Massage therapy to increase the effectiveness and longevity of these adjustments
- Ultrasound to increase healing and reduce pain
- Stretching exercises and physical therapy
You can recover
You and your back can feel and function well again after a car accident. Contact Bee Caves Scoliosis Center in Austin, TX, about your car accident injuries, and come in for a consultation with Dr. Zeke Harkleroad. Call today: (512) 327-5311.