Posts for: September, 2017
Although auto accidents can cause broken bones and lacerations, injuries after a crash aren't always obvious. Acceleration or deacceleration forces during accidents may be responsible for internal injuries to joints, bones and tissues. Our Austin, TX, chiropractor, Dr. Zeke Harkleroad of Bee Caves Scoliosis Center, discusses common types of internal injuries from auto accidents and explains how chiropractic treatment can be helpful.
What types of injuries can occur after a car accident?
Injuries that don't cause any noticeable external signs include:
- Whiplash: Whiplash occurs when the force of the crash abruptly moves your head back and forth, causing neck pain. Other symptoms may include a headache, neck stiffness, blurred vision, dizziness and ringing in the ears.
- Spondylolisthesis: Spondylolisthesis occurs when a stress fracture moves a vertebra from its normal position. If the vertebra presses on a nerve in your spine, you may notice symptoms in your legs or buttocks, such as pain, trouble walking, numbness or weakness.
- Strains and Sprains: Accidents can strain your back, causing pain that makes it difficult to function. If your pain is severe, you may not have a sprain or strain, but a compression fracture in your spine.
- Herniated Discs: Discs cushion the spaces between the vertebrae in your spine. Herniations occur when the center of the disc begins to bulge through the outer layer of the disc. Herniated disks may press on nerves causing pain in numbness, pain or tingling in an arm or leg.
- Worsening Scoliosis: Scoliosis, an abnormal curvature of the spine, can sometimes become worse if you've been injured in an accident.
How can chiropractic treatment help?
Chiropractic adjustments can reduce pressure on nerves, decreases pain and inflammation, and promotes healing of your tissues. Have you recently been injured in an auto accident? Chiropractic treatment offers an effective, natural way to help you heal. Call our Austin, TX, chiropractor, Dr. Zeke of Bee Caves Scoliosis Center, at (512) 327-5311 to schedule an appointment.
A car accident can really do a number on your body, but we can help straighten it out.
Being in a car accident can be a frightening experience; fortunately, if you just walk away with a couple bumps and bruises then chances are pretty good that you may not see a doctor to find out if there are any potential injuries brewing as a result of the accident. Find out the many ways a car accident can cause health issues and when to turn to our Austin, TX, chiropractor, Dr. Zeke Harkleroad, for help.
Common Injuries Due to Car Accidents
All you have to do is take a look around you when you get in the car and you’ll quickly realize just how much metal surrounds you. Everything, at a high enough speed, can create a serious impact when it comes in contact with your musculoskeletal system. From the steering wheel to the side window, just about everything could cause injuries during a car accident.
There are different kinds of car accidents that can occur, from “fender benders” and side crashes to head-on impact. While wearing your seatbelt can protect you from more serious injuries, it doesn’t mean that you’ll walk away completely unscathed. Even at low speeds, injuries can still occur. Common injuries include:
- Whiplash (neck injuries)
- Concussions and mild traumatic brain injuries
- Back and spinal injuries
- Strained, sprained or torn muscles, ligament, tendons or other soft tissues
- Sprained legs or ankles
How a Chiropractor Can Help You
If you notice pain, swelling or limited range-of-motion after a car accident it’s important that you consider visiting our Austin chiropractor for care. A chiropractor can employ a variety of therapeutic techniques to help get you on the path to recovery. Some people turn to chiropractors if they want a non-medicinal way to treat their symptoms while others believe that alternative therapies such as chiropractic care can complement their current treatment plan and help speed up the recovery process.
A chiropractor can help treat a variety of soft tissue injuries and problems and realign the spine. It’s common for discs in the spine to tear during a car accident. This can lead to pain, swelling and weakness in certain muscles or areas of the body such as the arms and hands. If this has happened to you, our chiropractor can provide therapies to help the injured disc heal to improve how the body functions.
A chiropractor can also provide ice/heat therapy, massage therapy, electrical stimulation and a variety of other chiropractic measures to provide the relief you need based on the unique symptoms you’ve been experiencing. Ultrasound therapy can also be used to decrease pain and speed healing.
Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center in Austin, TX, is ready to help get your body back in action through a variety of chiropractic techniques and therapies.