Posts for category: Chiropractic
If you were in a car accident near Austin, TX, or another area of the country, you could have injuries that are have gone undiagnosed and untreated. Dr. Zeke Harkleroad at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center takes special care of his patients post-MVA (motor vehicle accident). He performs complete chiropractic exams and orders X-rays as needed to compose a detailed treatment plan that addresses your unique needs and goals.
We've all seen TV shows and movies where a character wears a neck brace after a car accident. Far from fictional or funny, however, the injury depicted is likely whiplash, a soft tissue problem in the area of the upper back and neck. It results from the sudden stopping impact of a car crash. The head and neck which were traveling forward are halted quickly and snap sharply backward.
What results is soft tissue damage to muscles, tendons and ligaments--in short, everything that helps you sit and stand straight, to ambulate, and to move your arms and head. Additionally, MVAs may result in lower and mid-back injuries.
The National Highway and Traffic Safety Commission says that more than 3 million vehicular mishaps occur each year in the US, and whiplash frequently results. Dr. Harkleroad and his team are especially concerned that whiplash and other injuries associated with the neck and back be treated promptly, competently and compassionately.
Treatment after a car accident in Austin
Dr. Harkleroad plans individualized care as soon as possible after an MVA--within 48 to 72 hours is best if possible. This prevents or lessens the muscle spasm, tension and soreness that accompany whiplash and other spinal injuries. Often, he recommends one or more of the following interventions at home or at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center:
- Immobilization with splints
- Hands-on chiropractic adjustments to alleviate subluxations (misalignments) and pinched nerves in the neck, mid back and lower spine
- Ultrasound to decrease pain and speed healing.
- Spinal decompression (specialized traction) for problems with discs and surrounding musculature
Consult the expert
Dr. Harkleroad is a highly qualified Austin, TX chiropractor. He takes all his patients' needs seriously and especially when the situation presented is acute and serious, as a car accident, fall or other trauma. For a consultation at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center, call for an appointment: (512) 327-5311.
A car accident can really do a number on your body, but we can help straighten it out.
Being in a car accident can be a frightening experience; fortunately, if you just walk away with a couple bumps and bruises then chances are pretty good that you may not see a doctor to find out if there are any potential injuries brewing as a result of the accident. Find out the many ways a car accident can cause health issues and when to turn to our Austin, TX, chiropractor, Dr. Zeke Harkleroad, for help.
Common Injuries Due to Car Accidents
All you have to do is take a look around you when you get in the car and you’ll quickly realize just how much metal surrounds you. Everything, at a high enough speed, can create a serious impact when it comes in contact with your musculoskeletal system. From the steering wheel to the side window, just about everything could cause injuries during a car accident.
There are different kinds of car accidents that can occur, from “fender benders” and side crashes to head-on impact. While wearing your seatbelt can protect you from more serious injuries, it doesn’t mean that you’ll walk away completely unscathed. Even at low speeds, injuries can still occur. Common injuries include:
- Whiplash (neck injuries)
- Concussions and mild traumatic brain injuries
- Back and spinal injuries
- Strained, sprained or torn muscles, ligament, tendons or other soft tissues
- Sprained legs or ankles
How a Chiropractor Can Help You
If you notice pain, swelling or limited range-of-motion after a car accident it’s important that you consider visiting our Austin chiropractor for care. A chiropractor can employ a variety of therapeutic techniques to help get you on the path to recovery. Some people turn to chiropractors if they want a non-medicinal way to treat their symptoms while others believe that alternative therapies such as chiropractic care can complement their current treatment plan and help speed up the recovery process.
A chiropractor can help treat a variety of soft tissue injuries and problems and realign the spine. It’s common for discs in the spine to tear during a car accident. This can lead to pain, swelling and weakness in certain muscles or areas of the body such as the arms and hands. If this has happened to you, our chiropractor can provide therapies to help the injured disc heal to improve how the body functions.
A chiropractor can also provide ice/heat therapy, massage therapy, electrical stimulation and a variety of other chiropractic measures to provide the relief you need based on the unique symptoms you’ve been experiencing. Ultrasound therapy can also be used to decrease pain and speed healing.
Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center in Austin, TX, is ready to help get your body back in action through a variety of chiropractic techniques and therapies.
What your chiropractor in Austin wants you to know
Injuries from car accidents can affect you in many different ways. You may have visible injuries, but quite often you will be injured in on the inside. Dr. Zeke Harkleroad at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center in Austin, TX wants to share how chiropractic care can help you after a car accident.
Car accidents cause a wide variety of injuries to bones, muscles, tendons and ligaments. Whiplash and back pain are just two of the many injuries that can occur from a car accident. Different parts of your body may be injured, depending on the direction of impact. Consider that:
- If you get hit from the front, your chest and lower limbs may be injured. If you aren’t wearing a seatbelt, you can also experience head trauma and facial injuries.
- If you get hit from the side, your head, chest, lower limbs, abdomen and even your internal organs may be injured.
- If you get hit from the rear, your head, neck, chest and spine can all be injured.
There are several tips you can try at home if you are in a minor car accident. Remember to:
- Limit activity for the first 24 hours
- Place ice or heat packs on the injured areas
- Take over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medications
If you are in a more serious car accident, there are several ways Dr. Zeke can help. He may recommend:
- Gentle massage, to reduce swelling, pain and tension in your muscles
- Joint manipulation, to improve function and increase range-of-motion
- Electrical stimulation, to increase circulation and reduce stiffness
- Physical therapy, to increase flexibility and function
If you’ve been in a car accident and are suffering from chronic pain, don’t worry. Your chiropractor in Austin can help. You don’t have to deal with accident-related injuries alone when help is just a phone call away. Call Dr. Harkleroad at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center in Austin, TX. Get on the road to recovery by calling today!
How your chiropractor in Austin can help you feel better
If you’ve had an injury due to an accident or trauma, the effects might not be obvious on the outside. The truth is injuries can affect your tendons, ligaments, muscles and other areas and the effects might not show up until well after the accident happens.
Fortunately, your chiropractor can help you feel better after an injury. Dr. Zeke Harkleroad at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center in Austin, TX, wants to share what he can do for you.
One of the most common injuries is a sports-related injury. Whether you keep fit with regular activities or are a weekend athlete, it’s easy to injure yourself. You can injure many parts of your body, especially if you play contact sports like football or soccer.
Another common cause of injuries is a car accident. Auto accidents affect your body in different ways, depending on the type of collision:
- A front impact can cause chest and lower extremity injuries even if you are wearing a seatbelt. If you aren’t wearing a seatbelt, you can injure your face and head.
- A rear impact can affect your chest, neck, spine, and head.
- A side impact can damage your lower extremities, chest, head, abdomen and potentially your internal organs.
Whether you are injured playing sports or during an accident, Dr. Zeke has many effective treatments to help with your auto injuries including:
- Therapeutic massage used to relieve muscle tension and restore flexibility
- Electrical stimulation therapy to boost blood flow and loosen stiff muscles
- Ice therapy used to reduce swelling, limit muscle spasms, and help ease soft tissue pain
- Heat therapy used to boost blood flow and relax muscles; heat also helps with muscle flexibility.
- Chiropractic adjustments using gentle manipulations to release and realign vertebrae and help regain muscle movement
- Ultrasound to decrease pain and speed healing
Your chiropractor can help heal your injuries after trauma or an accident. You can still enjoy the activities you love thanks to the help of your chiropractor. For more information about post-injury chiropractic care call Dr. Zeke Harkleroad at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center in Austin, TX. He can help you feel better so call today!
What your chiropractor in Austin wants you to know
If you suffer from back problems, you already know how it can impact your life. You may think you will never play golf or tennis again. You may be wondering if you will be able to work at your job. You don’t have to live your life in uncertainty! It’s time to get some help from your chiropractor. Dr. Zeke Harkleroad at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center in Austin, TX, wants to introduce you to a very effective treatment for back pain. It’s called spinal decompression.
Dr. Zeke uses a unique form of spinal decompression called the Kennedy Spinal Decompression Technique. This technique is state-of-the-art and only 3% of chiropractors in the United States are trained to use this technique.
Two factors that many back problems share are poor spinal muscle control or damaged discs. Spinal decompression can help both issues through the use of traction equipment which stretches and relaxes your back and hips. When you choose the Kennedy Spinal Decompression System, you can count on:
- A gentle and comfortable treatment
- Non-invasive, non-surgical therapy
- A safe, economical treatment
- Treatment focused directly on problem areas including discs and muscles
There are some easy tips you can follow to help prevent back pain in the future. Remember to:
- Practice correct posture; don’t slouch
- Move around frequently; avoid long periods in the same position
- Wear supportive shoes, not high heels or worn-out shoes
- Always wear appropriate footgear if you are playing a sport
- Avoid carrying heavy objects like purses
- Sleep on a medium-firm mattress that supports your body
- Incorporate Foundation Training into your daily routine to engage the posterior spinal chain muscles
- Eat a healthy diet and maintain a healthy weight
The Kennedy Spinal Decompression Technique is just one of the effective treatments available for back pain at Dr. Zeke’s office. For a complete list of available treatments, please visit the services page on the website at http://www.doczeke.com/services.html
You don’t have to live with back pain. It’s time to talk with an expert and call Dr. Zeke at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center in Austin, TX. He can help you relax your back, so call today!