Are you suffering from neck pain after a car accident? You may have whiplash. Our Austin, TX, chiropractor, Dr. Zeke Harkleroad of Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center, shares common whiplash symptoms and explains how you may benefit from a trip to the chiropractor.
What is whiplash?
Whiplash is a type of injury that may occur when your neck moves back and forth rapidly. The sudden movement can damage vertebrae, muscles, ligaments, tendons, nerves and discs in your neck. Whiplash often occurs as a result of a car accident, but anything that causes your neck to "whip" around, such as a ride on a jerky amusement park attraction, playing contact sports or even falling, can cause your symptoms.
What are the symptoms of whiplash?
If you have whiplash, you may experience one of more of these symptoms:
- Pain in your neck that may worsen when you try to turn your head
- Pain in your arms, hands, shoulders or upper back
- Numbness or a "pins-and-needles" sensation in your arms and hands
- Difficulty moving your neck
- Muscle spasms
- Ringing in the ears
- Difficulty sleeping
How do Austin chiropractors treat whiplash?
Ignoring whiplash symptoms can lead to chronic pain. Luckily, chiropractors offer a variety of treatments that will decrease your pain and help you heal more quickly. When you visit our Austin office, we'll perform a thorough examination and recommend the appropriate treatment based on the severity of your condition.
Manipulation helps restore normal motion to your spinal joints and may also relieve pain caused by a herniated disc. Manual or instrument-assisted manipulation may be used during your treatment. Both types of manipulation use gentle, non-thrusting pressure to mobilize your vertebrae. Manipulation also helps stretch tight tissues and improves blood flow to your neck, which may speed healing.
Other treatments may also be used during the course of your therapy, such as massage, soft tissue manipulation and mobilization, manual joint therapy, ultrasound treatment, and trigger point therapy.
Chiropractic therapy offers an effective, natural way to treat whiplash after a car accident. If you're tired of living with your neck pain, call our Austin, TX, chiropractor, Dr. Zeke of Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center, at (512) 327-5311 to schedule an appointment.
The unexpected happens. Motor vehicle accidents cause a wide variety of injuries, but one of the most common is whiplash. The sudden impact of your car accident in Austin, TX, forced your head backwards quickly and then forward, affecting the vertebrae, muscles, nerves, connective tissue and discs in your cervical spine. How can you take care of your back? Dr. Zeke Harkleroad of Bee Caves Scoliosis Center urges victims of MVAs to see him immediately for evaluation and treatment.
Before seeing your chiropractor
Many times, symptoms of back problems go unnoticed for days, but then, the pain and dysfunction begins. The Spinal Research Institute of San Diego says that common whiplash happens to about three million Americans annually, and most of those injuries originate in car accidents.
What can you do with your injury? Even before seeing Dr. Zeke, there are steps you can take to take care of your back:
- Ice the neck or other areas of the back to reduce swelling. This is critical especially within the first 72 hours after your mishap.
- Rest. Do not keep doing your normal routine, but take a step back to ease tightened muscles.
- Move more slowly and gently, but do move. Complete immobilization only increases symptoms of pain and stiffness.
- Make an appointment at Bee Caves Scoliosis Center as soon as possible.
When you see Dr. Zeke
Be sure to tell him the full details of your Austin, TX, car accident, including any symptoms of pain, dizziness, limited mobility, headache, and muscle strain you may have. Then, Dr. Zeke will fully evaluate your spine, including your range of motion and areas of tenderness. He likely will order X-rays and other imaging to pinpoint the exact areas affected by your car accident. Then, he'll formulate a treatment plan geared to your specific needs.
This care plan may include:
- Chiropractic adjustments to relieve subluxations in the spine (misalignments, pinched nerves and strained muscles)
- Massage therapy to increase the effectiveness and longevity of these adjustments
- Ultrasound to increase healing and reduce pain
- Stretching exercises and physical therapy
You can recover
You and your back can feel and function well again after a car accident. Contact Bee Caves Scoliosis Center in Austin, TX, about your car accident injuries, and come in for a consultation with Dr. Zeke Harkleroad. Call today: (512) 327-5311.
A car accident is a scary and unnerving experience which can, unfortunately, cause serious damage to your body. You may get lucky and walk away from your auto collision seemingly unscathed. However, car accident-related conditions like whiplash often do not exhibit symptoms until several days after the collision. This makes it important to see your chiropractor after a car accident, even if you feel fine. Find out more about how your chiropractor can help you after an auto collision with Dr. Zeke Harkleroad at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center in Austin, TX.
How can my chiropractor help after an auto accident?
Auto accidents often cause neck and back injuries or soreness which can lead to other, long-term conditions. Seeing your chiropractor can help you manage or even prevent conditions caused by an auto collision. Some common issues after a car accident include:
- neck pain or stiffness
- blurred vision
- reduced range of motion in the neck
- lower back pain
- shoulder pain
Chiropractic treatment focuses on a hands-on approach to treating misalignments of the neuromuscular system and spine. Seeking chiropractic treatment immediately after a car accident can allow your doctor to find and treat issues early before they cause problems in your daily life. Chiropractic treatment aims to restore mobility, reduce pain, promote healing, and prevent future injury. Ultrasound can also be used to decrease pain and promote healing.
Chiropractic Care in Austin, TX
If you think you could benefit from chiropractic care, you should consult with your doctor at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center. Almost anyone can benefit from chiropractic care. While this facet of medicine is famous for “cracking” the back, chiropractors offer many other services than manual manipulation. Consult with your doctor to determine which chiropractic treatments are best for you and your injury.
For more information on chiropractic care or treating conditions like whiplash after a car accident, please contact Dr. Zeke at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center in Austin, TX. Call (512) 327-5311 to schedule your appointment today!
If you were in a car accident near Austin, TX, or another area of the country, you could have injuries that are have gone undiagnosed and untreated. Dr. Zeke Harkleroad at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center takes special care of his patients post-MVA (motor vehicle accident). He performs complete chiropractic exams and orders X-rays as needed to compose a detailed treatment plan that addresses your unique needs and goals.
We've all seen TV shows and movies where a character wears a neck brace after a car accident. Far from fictional or funny, however, the injury depicted is likely whiplash, a soft tissue problem in the area of the upper back and neck. It results from the sudden stopping impact of a car crash. The head and neck which were traveling forward are halted quickly and snap sharply backward.
What results is soft tissue damage to muscles, tendons and ligaments--in short, everything that helps you sit and stand straight, to ambulate, and to move your arms and head. Additionally, MVAs may result in lower and mid-back injuries.
The National Highway and Traffic Safety Commission says that more than 3 million vehicular mishaps occur each year in the US, and whiplash frequently results. Dr. Harkleroad and his team are especially concerned that whiplash and other injuries associated with the neck and back be treated promptly, competently and compassionately.
Treatment after a car accident in Austin
Dr. Harkleroad plans individualized care as soon as possible after an MVA--within 48 to 72 hours is best if possible. This prevents or lessens the muscle spasm, tension and soreness that accompany whiplash and other spinal injuries. Often, he recommends one or more of the following interventions at home or at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center:
- Immobilization with splints
- Hands-on chiropractic adjustments to alleviate subluxations (misalignments) and pinched nerves in the neck, mid back and lower spine
- Ultrasound to decrease pain and speed healing.
- Spinal decompression (specialized traction) for problems with discs and surrounding musculature
Consult the expert
Dr. Harkleroad is a highly qualified Austin, TX chiropractor. He takes all his patients' needs seriously and especially when the situation presented is acute and serious, as a car accident, fall or other trauma. For a consultation at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center, call for an appointment: (512) 327-5311.
Although auto accidents can cause broken bones and lacerations, injuries after a crash aren't always obvious. Acceleration or deacceleration forces during accidents may be responsible for internal injuries to joints, bones and tissues. Our Austin, TX, chiropractor, Dr. Zeke Harkleroad of Bee Caves Scoliosis Center, discusses common types of internal injuries from auto accidents and explains how chiropractic treatment can be helpful.
What types of injuries can occur after a car accident?
Injuries that don't cause any noticeable external signs include:
- Whiplash: Whiplash occurs when the force of the crash abruptly moves your head back and forth, causing neck pain. Other symptoms may include a headache, neck stiffness, blurred vision, dizziness and ringing in the ears.
- Spondylolisthesis: Spondylolisthesis occurs when a stress fracture moves a vertebra from its normal position. If the vertebra presses on a nerve in your spine, you may notice symptoms in your legs or buttocks, such as pain, trouble walking, numbness or weakness.
- Strains and Sprains: Accidents can strain your back, causing pain that makes it difficult to function. If your pain is severe, you may not have a sprain or strain, but a compression fracture in your spine.
- Herniated Discs: Discs cushion the spaces between the vertebrae in your spine. Herniations occur when the center of the disc begins to bulge through the outer layer of the disc. Herniated disks may press on nerves causing pain in numbness, pain or tingling in an arm or leg.
- Worsening Scoliosis: Scoliosis, an abnormal curvature of the spine, can sometimes become worse if you've been injured in an accident.
How can chiropractic treatment help?
Chiropractic adjustments can reduce pressure on nerves, decreases pain and inflammation, and promotes healing of your tissues. Have you recently been injured in an auto accident? Chiropractic treatment offers an effective, natural way to help you heal. Call our Austin, TX, chiropractor, Dr. Zeke of Bee Caves Scoliosis Center, at (512) 327-5311 to schedule an appointment.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.