A car accident is a scary and unnerving experience which can, unfortunately, cause serious damage to your body. You may get lucky and walk away from your auto collision seemingly unscathed. However, car accident-related conditions like whiplash often do not exhibit symptoms until several days after the collision. This makes it important to see your chiropractor after a car accident, even if you feel fine. Find out more about how your chiropractor can help you after an auto collision with Dr. Zeke Harkleroad at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center in Austin, TX.
How can my chiropractor help after an auto accident?
Auto accidents often cause neck and back injuries or soreness which can lead to other, long-term conditions. Seeing your chiropractor can help you manage or even prevent conditions caused by an auto collision. Some common issues after a car accident include:
- neck pain or stiffness
- blurred vision
- reduced range of motion in the neck
- lower back pain
- shoulder pain
Chiropractic treatment focuses on a hands-on approach to treating misalignments of the neuromuscular system and spine. Seeking chiropractic treatment immediately after a car accident can allow your doctor to find and treat issues early before they cause problems in your daily life. Chiropractic treatment aims to restore mobility, reduce pain, promote healing, and prevent future injury. Ultrasound can also be used to decrease pain and promote healing.
Chiropractic Care in Austin, TX
If you think you could benefit from chiropractic care, you should consult with your doctor at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center. Almost anyone can benefit from chiropractic care. While this facet of medicine is famous for “cracking” the back, chiropractors offer many other services than manual manipulation. Consult with your doctor to determine which chiropractic treatments are best for you and your injury.
For more information on chiropractic care or treating conditions like whiplash after a car accident, please contact Dr. Zeke at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center in Austin, TX. Call (512) 327-5311 to schedule your appointment today!
If you were in a car accident near Austin, TX, or another area of the country, you could have injuries that are have gone undiagnosed and untreated. Dr. Zeke Harkleroad at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center takes special care of his patients post-MVA (motor vehicle accident). He performs complete chiropractic exams and orders X-rays as needed to compose a detailed treatment plan that addresses your unique needs and goals.
We've all seen TV shows and movies where a character wears a neck brace after a car accident. Far from fictional or funny, however, the injury depicted is likely whiplash, a soft tissue problem in the area of the upper back and neck. It results from the sudden stopping impact of a car crash. The head and neck which were traveling forward are halted quickly and snap sharply backward.
What results is soft tissue damage to muscles, tendons and ligaments--in short, everything that helps you sit and stand straight, to ambulate, and to move your arms and head. Additionally, MVAs may result in lower and mid-back injuries.
The National Highway and Traffic Safety Commission says that more than 3 million vehicular mishaps occur each year in the US, and whiplash frequently results. Dr. Harkleroad and his team are especially concerned that whiplash and other injuries associated with the neck and back be treated promptly, competently and compassionately.
Treatment after a car accident in Austin
Dr. Harkleroad plans individualized care as soon as possible after an MVA--within 48 to 72 hours is best if possible. This prevents or lessens the muscle spasm, tension and soreness that accompany whiplash and other spinal injuries. Often, he recommends one or more of the following interventions at home or at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center:
- Immobilization with splints
- Hands-on chiropractic adjustments to alleviate subluxations (misalignments) and pinched nerves in the neck, mid back and lower spine
- Ultrasound to decrease pain and speed healing.
- Spinal decompression (specialized traction) for problems with discs and surrounding musculature
Consult the expert
Dr. Harkleroad is a highly qualified Austin, TX chiropractor. He takes all his patients' needs seriously and especially when the situation presented is acute and serious, as a car accident, fall or other trauma. For a consultation at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center, call for an appointment: (512) 327-5311.
Although auto accidents can cause broken bones and lacerations, injuries after a crash aren't always obvious. Acceleration or deacceleration forces during accidents may be responsible for internal injuries to joints, bones and tissues. Our Austin, TX, chiropractor, Dr. Zeke Harkleroad of Bee Caves Scoliosis Center, discusses common types of internal injuries from auto accidents and explains how chiropractic treatment can be helpful.
What types of injuries can occur after a car accident?
Injuries that don't cause any noticeable external signs include:
- Whiplash: Whiplash occurs when the force of the crash abruptly moves your head back and forth, causing neck pain. Other symptoms may include a headache, neck stiffness, blurred vision, dizziness and ringing in the ears.
- Spondylolisthesis: Spondylolisthesis occurs when a stress fracture moves a vertebra from its normal position. If the vertebra presses on a nerve in your spine, you may notice symptoms in your legs or buttocks, such as pain, trouble walking, numbness or weakness.
- Strains and Sprains: Accidents can strain your back, causing pain that makes it difficult to function. If your pain is severe, you may not have a sprain or strain, but a compression fracture in your spine.
- Herniated Discs: Discs cushion the spaces between the vertebrae in your spine. Herniations occur when the center of the disc begins to bulge through the outer layer of the disc. Herniated disks may press on nerves causing pain in numbness, pain or tingling in an arm or leg.
- Worsening Scoliosis: Scoliosis, an abnormal curvature of the spine, can sometimes become worse if you've been injured in an accident.
How can chiropractic treatment help?
Chiropractic adjustments can reduce pressure on nerves, decreases pain and inflammation, and promotes healing of your tissues. Have you recently been injured in an auto accident? Chiropractic treatment offers an effective, natural way to help you heal. Call our Austin, TX, chiropractor, Dr. Zeke of Bee Caves Scoliosis Center, at (512) 327-5311 to schedule an appointment.
A car accident can really do a number on your body, but we can help straighten it out.
Being in a car accident can be a frightening experience; fortunately, if you just walk away with a couple bumps and bruises then chances are pretty good that you may not see a doctor to find out if there are any potential injuries brewing as a result of the accident. Find out the many ways a car accident can cause health issues and when to turn to our Austin, TX, chiropractor, Dr. Zeke Harkleroad, for help.
Common Injuries Due to Car Accidents
All you have to do is take a look around you when you get in the car and you’ll quickly realize just how much metal surrounds you. Everything, at a high enough speed, can create a serious impact when it comes in contact with your musculoskeletal system. From the steering wheel to the side window, just about everything could cause injuries during a car accident.
There are different kinds of car accidents that can occur, from “fender benders” and side crashes to head-on impact. While wearing your seatbelt can protect you from more serious injuries, it doesn’t mean that you’ll walk away completely unscathed. Even at low speeds, injuries can still occur. Common injuries include:
- Whiplash (neck injuries)
- Concussions and mild traumatic brain injuries
- Back and spinal injuries
- Strained, sprained or torn muscles, ligament, tendons or other soft tissues
- Sprained legs or ankles
How a Chiropractor Can Help You
If you notice pain, swelling or limited range-of-motion after a car accident it’s important that you consider visiting our Austin chiropractor for care. A chiropractor can employ a variety of therapeutic techniques to help get you on the path to recovery. Some people turn to chiropractors if they want a non-medicinal way to treat their symptoms while others believe that alternative therapies such as chiropractic care can complement their current treatment plan and help speed up the recovery process.
A chiropractor can help treat a variety of soft tissue injuries and problems and realign the spine. It’s common for discs in the spine to tear during a car accident. This can lead to pain, swelling and weakness in certain muscles or areas of the body such as the arms and hands. If this has happened to you, our chiropractor can provide therapies to help the injured disc heal to improve how the body functions.
A chiropractor can also provide ice/heat therapy, massage therapy, electrical stimulation and a variety of other chiropractic measures to provide the relief you need based on the unique symptoms you’ve been experiencing. Ultrasound therapy can also be used to decrease pain and speed healing.
Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center in Austin, TX, is ready to help get your body back in action through a variety of chiropractic techniques and therapies.
What your chiropractor in Austin wants you to know
Injuries from car accidents can affect you in many different ways. You may have visible injuries, but quite often you will be injured in on the inside. Dr. Zeke Harkleroad at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center in Austin, TX wants to share how chiropractic care can help you after a car accident.
Car accidents cause a wide variety of injuries to bones, muscles, tendons and ligaments. Whiplash and back pain are just two of the many injuries that can occur from a car accident. Different parts of your body may be injured, depending on the direction of impact. Consider that:
- If you get hit from the front, your chest and lower limbs may be injured. If you aren’t wearing a seatbelt, you can also experience head trauma and facial injuries.
- If you get hit from the side, your head, chest, lower limbs, abdomen and even your internal organs may be injured.
- If you get hit from the rear, your head, neck, chest and spine can all be injured.
There are several tips you can try at home if you are in a minor car accident. Remember to:
- Limit activity for the first 24 hours
- Place ice or heat packs on the injured areas
- Take over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medications
If you are in a more serious car accident, there are several ways Dr. Zeke can help. He may recommend:
- Gentle massage, to reduce swelling, pain and tension in your muscles
- Joint manipulation, to improve function and increase range-of-motion
- Electrical stimulation, to increase circulation and reduce stiffness
- Physical therapy, to increase flexibility and function
If you’ve been in a car accident and are suffering from chronic pain, don’t worry. Your chiropractor in Austin can help. You don’t have to deal with accident-related injuries alone when help is just a phone call away. Call Dr. Harkleroad at Bee Caves Chiropractic & Scoliosis Center in Austin, TX. Get on the road to recovery by calling today!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.